Change the default browser in iPad 2
If you have a favourite browser installed in your iPad 2 and you would like to have it as your default browser. you can install the Browser Changer app from the ModMyi repository in Cydia for free. This will allow you to override Safari and choose an alternative browser such as Skyfire Web Browser, Opera Mini and Atomic Web Browser instead.
Note: It only works on Jailbroken iPad 2. If you haven’t got your iPad 2 jailbroken, find out how here.
I really hope Apple will introduce a setting to allows user to choose their default apps such as browser, media, and mail in the future. So everyone can have choices to use their favourite apps in iOS.
Here are the steps how to change the default browser in your iPad2:
- Launch Cydia from your iPad 2 and go to “Search” tab
- Type in “Browser Changer” in text field and choose “Browser Changer”
- Tab “Install” on right top corner to install (Since I have already installed, it shows as “modify”)
- Tab “Confirm” to start the installation process
- Tab “Restart SpringBoard” once the installation complete
- Go to “Setting” -> “Extensions” -> “BrowserChanger”
- Select Browser (I choose “Skyfire for iPad” as my favourite browser)
- Enable changer
If you enable “apple to Google Maps” and “Youtube” setting, YouTube and Google Maps links will open in your default browser, rather than in Safari.
Try it out let me know what you think.